Monday, July 23, 2012

It's On

Hello there! We have been away from blog land for quite some time. What started as a break due to illness quickly turned into a spiral effect with a busy schedule and reflection time after we got tests results back. Without going into great detail but just enough to tell it like it is, one of our children did poorly on a mandated test. This event took me several long weeks to work through.... but more on that later.

First I would still like to state my opinion on testing before 8th grade. I H-A-T-E it!! I think it is not necessary and a big waste of time. For some children, I have one and I was one, testing is not an accurate reflection of what a child might know. I refuse to teach for a test because that does not promote learning. With that being said, I have found a resource that I will be using to help my son become more comfortable with the test taking process.

Secondly, after the urge to switch curriculum wore off, I decided to look for some supplemental material to help my son become more comfortable in recalling information. For my son, he bombed the section of the test where it gives you a sentence and four choices of possible correction with the 5th choice being none at all. (I start to sweat just thinking about it.) He second guessed himself and what he knew. I KNOW he knows the material because he passed all the assessments with flying colors but having to recall information in a timed setting is just not where he is at, at this time. So after endless hours of searching for new curriculum, I got my senses back! My child IS learning, he just needs something to help him recall the information with more confidence. Reality of the matter is, he is going to have to test; whether I like it or not. My issue was finding a way to help improve his testing skills without making it all about the test. And I think I have found my answer with Wordly Wise and Editor in Chief series. We will start working in these books as we amp up school for the summer and I'll let you know in 6 weeks how it is going.

I also have begun to invest in the series What your **** needs to know. I've found them very useful in finding a way to help review information with my children. And truthfully, had I really looked at these books when I first started homeschooling, this is the way I would have went and may switch over to them for the middle school years.

Finally, I will be putting the finishing touches on some worksheets I used when reading through the book Missionary Stories with the Millers.  I have read this book twice with my children, so far, and can't wait to read it again with the youngest when it is her turn. I don't think there were many times when my children didn't ask to hear, just one more!!!! Great book to get, even if you don't use Sonlight!!!!

I look forward to sharing how the new workbooks are going and hopefully putting something on the web that others will find useful. Happy Homeschooling!



No comments:

Post a Comment